Monday, March 26, 2007

Slowing Down at Holden

By, Claire Bartleson

The mission trip to Holden Village is one that I won’t soon forget. We met so many interesting and different people with such different stories as to where their lives have taken them and how their experiences have shaped them that it has really made me examine my life and where I’m heading mentally, spiritually and emotionally.
The best part of the trip for me was being cut off from the outside world. It was tough at times but it was great not to hear cell phones ringing! It felt as if nothing else mattered at that time other than what I was doing. I didn’t have to worry about being somewhere on time, returning phones calls, getting assignments in or going to work. I was truly relaxed.
I now see why slowing down in life is important. While at Holden I really took time to look at what was around me. Waking up every morning and walking outside and seeing these huge mountains was incredible. I don’t think people take enough time anymore to really notice the beauty that is around them everyday.

No comments: